Social Anxiety Is Awful!
Anxiety is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States. Among those who experience it, many also experience social anxiety that increases stress levels, sometimes dramatically. If you’ve ever been nervous about giving a big speech or presenting a project, you might relate. Recently, studies have shown that cannabidiol (CBD) oil can help ease those symptoms of social anxiety and make it easier to function in times of major stress.
CBD oil is extracted from cannabis plants. You can eat it, but some people use it in creams and salves, too. Several studies (many conducted within the last ten years) have shown that this type of treatment has made a big difference for people with anxiety disorders. They’ve even tested the use of the treatment prior to subjects giving big speeches. Research shows a significant decrease in anxiety symptoms even with small doses of the oil. Unlike smoking cannabis, it does not produce a high in those who use cannabidiol oil to treat their symptoms.
There are tons of benefits to using CBD oil for social anxiety, and several different ways it can help with reducing anxiety. Here are a few of them:
- Stimulates neurotransmitters and binds to neurotransmitter receptors to produce serotonin and other natural chemicals that help reduce anxiety
- Helps regulate the endocannabinoid system, which aids in processing fears properly and prevents them from becoming obsessive thoughts that contribute to anxious behaviors
- Helps neurons regenerate after exposure to consistent high stress (neuron degeneration is common with prolonged anxiety)
- Lowers your anxiety response to stress
- Reduces fear response in situations where no threat is present and helps you condition yourself not to respond on your own
- Reduces risk of other conditions caused by high stress and anxiety, including heart disease and digestive problems
So are there side effects? As with almost all medications and treatments, there can be, but studies have shown them to be minimal or completely nonexistent for most people. The effects of smoking cannabis, like a high or potentially negative side effects specific to smoking, are not present. There are no addictive properties and the oil is often very effective in small doses, as opposed to medications which often require increased dosage over varying amounts of time.
As always, it’s best to talk with a medical professional you trust before beginning any new treatments. While CBD oil is considered safe for most people without other underlying health problems, it’s best to be aware of potential side effects and interactions with other medications, including those taken over the counter. However, this kind of treatment can be life-changing for many people, and it may be worth looking into if you experience severe anxiety in social situations.